Sullivan Mead Lumber Co.
This picture was taken at the corner of 14th and Adams streets about 1915. The identity of the man driving the car is unknown, but his dog seems very comfortable riding near the warm engine. The street is muddy and it is presumed to be February or March because there are no leaves on the trees. Puddles indicate that there was a spring thaw. Poles in the background indicate that there was telephone service.
The Sullivan-Mead Lumber Co. is in the background on the northeast corner of the intersection. The Parkhurst Lumber Company had been purchased by Morton Mead and Dan Sullivan in 1910. In 1918 Morton Mead assumed full ownership of Mead Lumber Co. and owned it until donating it to the City of Ashland for building of the new Ashland Community Resource Center/Ashland Public Library building in 2015. The sign says they sold lumber and coal. Many homes of the period were built with a coal storage room in the basement. In the fall the lumber company truck would fill that room often using a chute to shuttle it in through a window. With the advent of electric furnaces, the coal room became storage and the coal market decreased.
The northwest corner was the Vallier Livery Stable which became Oscar Reece’s Ford dealership and eventually Jerry Darst and C.B. Laune’s Chevrolet dealership. It is now Todd Valley Plumbing and Heating.
For more information on other items from Ashland’s history, visit the Ashland History Museum at 205 North 15th Street, Ashland. The museum is open May through September on Thursdays from 1 to 4 p.m. and by appointment.