1911 - Old Highway north of Ashland
In 1911 “Huebinger’s Map and Guide Book of the Trans-Continental Route” was published showing landmarks along the way as guides. The Trans-Continental Route went down Silver Street in Ashland and north on 14th Street to the Guard Camp Road where it turned east and crossed the Platte River. This is a view of the road north of Ashland showing the bridge over Wahoo Creek with the Stambaugh house in the background. The Stambaugh house is identified as the “brick house” in the Huebinger map of 1911.
Early bridges were built across creeks at the narrowest point with good banks on either side. So the Wahoo Creek bridge did not line up with the north-south road. It had been built earlier at the most convenient spot. Ruts on the side of the road indicate some melting so we presume this was an early spring picture.
For more information on other items from Ashland’s history, visit the Ashland History Museum at 205 North 15th Street, Ashland. The museum is open on Thursdays from 1 to 4 p.m. and by appointment.